Dear Prospective Family,
Thank you for visiting Harbor Country Day School's Admission web page. This past school year was a challenging one as a result of COVID-19, however, Harbor remained open for in-person learning five days per week (with a remote option for those who preferred learning from home due to the pandemic) and our students have thrived. To help keep our community safe, in-person after school and over the weekends in addition to the virtual Open House Info Sessions which were hosted each Wednesday throughout the school year. This summer, we will continue to host Open House Info Sessions and tours in a similar fashion should you be interested.
At Harbor, we believe that the right school environment, from preschool through 8th grade, has an important impact on a child's academic, social and emotional development. Our broad academic program, combined with our efforts to inspire students to ask deep questions and to feel inspired about learning, draws out student strengths and confidence that helps them in life-long ways. Our Harbor alums echo this sentiment well after their time at Harbor ends. They speak of the warm feeling of community, the feeling of trust among their peers, and the sense of being known by faculty and staff. As 8th graders, our students gain valuable leadership and educational experiences that prepare them for high school challenges and academic rigor. Our alums echo that sentiment too, often telling us that they felt prepared as writers, as public speakers, as mathematicians, and when navigating complex decisions and social issues. Harbor builds confidence that helps students find undiscovered talents and develop interests all their own. Harbor graduates are well-rounded individuals who go on to top high schools, colleges, and universities.
As you search for the right learning setting for your child, we hope that our mission, "Harbor cherishes childhood, cultivates wonder, and inspires confident learners and leaders" comes through in the snapshots, videos, and information on our website. We also invite you to visit us to see for yourself the warm, nurturing, and inspiring environment that awaits your child, year after year, here at Harbor Country Day School.
The Admissions Process
Interested families may choose the to begin the conversation by:
The Admission Department will reach out to you to schedule the next steps. This includes a phone call followed by a visit to tour the school. Your child is welcome to tour with you or may wait until after the parents' first visit to the school. A follow-up visit could include attending an Open House
, which is another good way to become familiar with the school. We can also provide prospective parents with contact information to reach out to a past or current Harbor parent
. Our Parent Ambassadors love to assist!
In the meantime, we will provide you with online resources to become familiar with the school, such as access to online information and parent testimonials.
Upon receipt of an enrollment Application, student visits will be planned as follows:
- Preschooler 2s, 3s, 4s: We look forward to meeting you and your child with a short visit to the school to meet the prospective teacher.
- Kindergarten: We invite you to bring your child to school for a brief visit and for a short kindergarten screening. The results will be shared with you upon completion.
- Grades 1-8: We will work with prospective parents and students to schedule a two-day visit to Harbor. We believe that the two-day visit gives prospective students a chance to "catch their breath" and settle into learning about life at Harbor Country Day School. Prospective students will receive a daily schedule and will be introduced to students who will act as their friendly ambassadors during their visit. During the two-days, students will live the life of a Harbor student. Our visiting students will be invited to enjoy a complimentary Harbor lunch. Once settled after the first day, students will complete writing and math assessments. We ask all parents to please advise us if your child(ren) has a food allergy, health issue, medical restriction or religious observation that you would like us to be aware of. All students must be fully immunized.
We ask for the following materials:
- Your child(ren)'s most recent report card
- A Student Evaluation form from a teacher (or two Student Evaluation forms if the applicant has changed schools within the last year)
- Grade 4-8 applicants will complete a Student Application.
Once your application file is completed, the Admission Committee will review your materials. Tuition assistance is available and may be reviewed here